Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides a challenge in the classroom, on the sea and on the mountain, on the stage and on the sports field, and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
Reports to: Assistant Head Wellbeing
Job Purpose: Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides challenge in the classroom, at sea and in the mountains, on the stage and on the sports fields and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you. The wellbeing and mental, emotional and physical health of our students is at the core of what we do, and the key focus of this role is to provide outstanding counselling support to our student community.
· To provide an expert and discrete counselling service to support the student community
· To develop best-practice approaches to student counselling across the School
· To keep abreast of counselling developments as they relate to young people and to implement counselling change where it benefits outcomes for students
· To lead in the training of school staff to support the counselling function
· To advise staff on counselling matters as they relate to students
· To communicate clearly and professionally with parents of those being counselled as and when appropriate
· To work closely with the Assistant Head Wellbeing to ensure any strategies relating to individual student support are implemented across the School in a discrete and supportive manner
· To develop and implement whole-school initiatives for supporting emotional, physical and mental health and wellbeing
· To be a champion for mental, physical and emotional health and wellbeing across the School
· To support our parent body in developing an understanding of emotional, physical and mental health and wellbeing issues as they relate to children and young people
· To ensure all appropriate documentation/recording relating to students is shared as and when appropriate via the School’s Wellbeing Information System
· Comply with Gordonstoun’s policies and procedures on Child Protection and Health and Safety.
· Contribute in a positive way to the ethos of the school in line with Gordonstoun’s values
· Carry out any other task as required from time to time in order to support the school.
Please note that this is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the role. It is not a comprehensive list of all tasks that the School Counsellor will carry out. The postholder may be required to do other duties appropriate to the level of the role, as directed by the Head of Senior School/Junior School.
The role is Permanent, Term Time from 01 September 2020. Working 35 hours per term week.
The closing date for applications is 1200hrs on Friday 3 July 2020.
Interviews will be held w/b 6 July 2020.
Candidates wishing to be considered for this post should complete the application form and submit return by email to the Recruitment Department or by post to: Recruitment, Gordonstoun School, Elgin, Moray IV30 5RF
Recruitment Department contact details:
Telephone: 01343 837837