Teacher of Business & Economics
Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides a challenge in the classroom, on the sea and on the mountain, on the stage and on the sports field, and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
From 1 September 2020
Reports to: Head of Business and Economics
Job Purpose: The ability to teach to GCSE and A level standard as a Teacher is essential and experience of delivering teaching in the relevant subject to GCSE is desirable. The post holder also has to be capable of enthusing students and promoting the importance of their relevant subject to the young people of Gordonstoun in order to help them gain formal qualifications and aid them in taking their place as twenty-first century international citizens. All candidates should be registered or eligible for registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland, as this is a condition of employment.
· To plan and teach excellent lessons.
· Build good relationships with all students.
· Be a leading classroom practitioner with a proven track record of success.
· Previous examining experience would be an advantage
· Needs to be committed to strategies to improve teaching and learning.
· Able to develop the skills of learners to equip them for the 21st century.
· Experience of teaching in their relevant teaching subject at A Level or at an equivalent level.
· Knowledge and experience of recent developments in teaching, including use of ICT in the classroom.
· Mark and assess student work regularly.
· To establish and make explicit the aims and objectives of the relevant subject department they are working in and to help to evaluate and develop curricula to meet these objectives.
· To ensure that appropriate differentiation of the curriculum is made to meet the needs of all levels of pupil ability.
· To promote teaching and learning styles which stimulate pupil interest and involvement in learning
· To keep up with developments in their relevant teaching subject through attending appropriate INSET sessions
Contribution within the relevant department:
· Be an exemplary teacher and to demonstrate excellent teaching skills and to be a practitioner of good practice.
· To inspire students and to provide enthusiasm in this curriculum area.
· To promote the subject beyond the classroom e.g. extra-curricular activities, wall displays.
· To provide counselling as may be required and liaise with higher education in conjunction with the careers department.
· To promote cross curricular co-operation.
Teaching staff are eligible for membership of the Scottish Teachers Superannuation Scheme
The closing date for applications is 0900hrs on Monday 29 June 2020.
Interviews will be held remotely .
Please note Gordonstoun reserves the right to withdraw the advert prior to the closing date should a suitable candidate be appointed before the closing date.
Eligibility for GTCS registration is essential.
These notes are for general information only and the appointment will be subject to the signature of formal conditions of employment.
Candidates wishing to be considered for this post should complete the school’s application form along with a letter of application, addressed to the Headmaster, outlining why they feel they are a suitable candidate for this post. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Recruitment, Gordonstoun, Elgin, Moray, IV30 5RF.
If you would like any further details, please contact the Recruitment Department at email@example.com or call 01343 837837