Head of Student Support
Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides challenge in the classroom, on the sea and on the mountain, on the stage and on the sports field, and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
HEAD OF STUDENT SUPPORT from 01 January 2021
Job Purpose: Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides challenge in the classroom, at sea and in the mountains, on the stage and on the sports fields and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
Gordonstoun is an all-abilities school, renowned for valuing and developing the individual strengths of each child. Building on the excellent work done by our departments of Learning Support and EAL, we are now establishing an overarching Student Support Department to encompass both areas. Our aim is to ensure we remain at the forefront of best practice in ensuring every child achieves their full potential through a range of strategies and interventions, both on a targeted and whole-school basis.
The new Head of Department will be an experienced practitioner in either Learning Support or EAL with the vision and drive to develop a sector-leading integrated approach. Ideally the successful candidate will want to play a full role in boarding school life.
· To lead the Student Support Department to a sector-leading position in supporting student achievement
· To be the school’s expert in either Learning Support or EAL (delivering exemplary teaching in that discipline) and to manage a Lead Teacher in the other discipline
· To curate a programme of group lessons, individual sessions and non-timetabled support (including chargeable sessions) in Learning Support and EAL
· To commission, conduct and implement follow-up on learner assessments as required
· To work with the Director of Student Development and other staff as appropriate to ensure appropriate stretch and challenge, for example by way of a Gifted and Talented programme
· To work with the Admissions department regarding student recruitment, including liaising with prospective families and feeder schools
· To monitor students with EHCP targets and hold annual reviews (where applicable)
· To manage, support and develop staff within the Student Support Department to fulfil their individual potential in support of student achievement and wellbeing
· To ensure all School policies and information in relation to Learning Support and EAL are up-to-date and reflect sector best practice
· To ensure all exam board regulations are complied with and to manage access arrangements for students in lessons and examinations
· To work with school leaders to ensure all staff are equipped to support all learners throughout the school, including through the provision of Learner Profiles, support plans and training
· To maintain outstanding relationships with parents in support of their child’s education and wellbeing
· To maintain effective links to support the department, including but not limited to with other departments in the school, exam boards, professional bodies, universities and other schools
· To attend meetings, manage resources, and produce such reports and information as are necessary from time to time
Further details of the essential and desirable requirements can be found in the job description and Person Specification.
All candidates should be registered or eligible for registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS).
The closing date for applications is 0900hrs on Friday 14 August 2020. Interviews will be held w/b Monday 17 August 2020. Please note Gordonstoun reserves the right to withdraw the advert prior to the closing date should a suitable candidate be appointed before the closing date.
Candidates wishing to be considered for this post should complete the school’s application form along with a letter of application, addressed to the Principal, outlining why they feel they are a suitable candidate for this post. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Recruitment, Gordonstoun, Elgin, Moray, IV30 5RF.
If you do have any questions, please email email@example.com or call 01343 837831