Bank Maintenance Handy Person
Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides a challenge in the classroom, on the sea and on the mountain, on the stage and on the sports field, and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
The Maintenance team is fundamental to the smooth running of Gordonstoun School, with responsibility for the Maintenance on more than 50 buildings, roads, utilities and a sewage plant. The team spends an operational and capital budget of almost £1m each year and comprises a large group of 16 staff. A major change programme is underway within the team at Gordonstoun, designed to improve the systems to lead to better efficiency and ultimately the right person being in the right place at the right time.
The Maintenance Handyperson is essential to the smooth running of the school and is responsible for ensuring that all planned preventative maintenance routine and reactive maintenance tasks are carried out across the school.
All of this must be done in a way that focusses on student experience and on working collaboratively with colleagues across the School.
1. Comply with Gordonstoun’s policies and procedures on Child Protection and Health and Safety.
2. Contribute in a positive way to the ethos of the school in line with Gordonstoun’s values.
3. Provide a prompt Handyperson service.
a. Carry out planned preventative maintenance activities and reactive tasks as instructed by the Maintenance Manager.
b. Ensure that all technical regulations are adhered to.
c. Ensure that all labouring activities carried out are compliant with regulations.
d. Handling and moving of furniture including stage erecting.
e. To install, maintain or repair, jobs of a minor nature relative to the fabric, fixtures and fittings of the building equipment and furniture.
f. Check and replace faulty lights, tubes and starters on a regular basis. Check fuses and replace with manufacturers recommended fuse.
g. Identify and report any repairs, maintenance or replacements that require action.
4. Build strong relationships with colleagues in the maintenance team and across the School, and with external contractors.
a. Work in a way that is focussed on the student experience and on empowering and working collaboratively with colleagues across the School to deliver this.
b. Collaborate with colleagues to ensure that all stakeholders are engaged before a project or piece of work is started and that anyone affected has had an opportunity to be involved.
c. To focus on the student experience by causing minimum disruption to colleagues and students, and to respect their property whilst working.
5. Support the rest of the team to carry out other maintenance as and when required as directed by the Maintenance Manager.
6. Carry out maintenance on-call duties in evenings and at weekends on a rota basis. 7. Carry out any other task as required from time to time in order to support the school.
How to apply
Please review the Job Description before applying.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 09.00am on 25 September 2020.