Gordonstoun has been leading the way in character education for more than 80 years. Our uniquely broad curriculum provides a challenge in the classroom, on the sea and on the mountain, on the stage and on the sports field, and enables students to discover the truth in our motto – Plus Est En Vous – there is more in you.
Reports to: Finance Director
Job Purpose: Financial insights are crucial to decision-making at Gordonstoun and this role is responsible for developing models to deliver these, and recommend action based on them. In order to do this, the Management Accountant needs to be conscientious and diligent in understanding the detailed drivers of Gordonstoun’s income and operations. And we want to unlock time to spend on this value-add analysis, so the Management Accountant also has to support the improvement of systems and processes to reduce spent on transaction processing within the Finance team. This role works closely with budget holders and with the Finance Director, supporting her at Board level and with other projects so that the Directorate functions smoothly.
Financial Planning and Analysis (30% of the role)
- Prepare monthly management accounts, monthly rolling outturn forecasting and financial analysis.
- Prepare annual budgets and long range financial plans, including the development of financial models that allow detailed driver input.
- Develop graphical and other models to present financial stories to budget holders, the senior leadership team, the school executive and the Board.
- Develop financial models to analyse investment decisions.
- Work closely with marketing and admissions to analyse acquisition channels.
- Support the Development team and the School Executive with financial insights for Fundraising and International Business Development.
Projects (40% of the role)
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to develop a new chart of accounts for the school that analyses responsibility and purpose, as well as type of expenditure.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to improve processes within the finance team in order to significantly reduce time spent on transactional processing, increase income and provide a better experience for parents.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to review the financial systems and either maximise the current systems or put in place a new system, including requirements capture, tendering and management of external consultants.
- Project manage aspects of the school’s strategic plan, including developing project initiation documents, putting in place Gantt charts, keeping track of progress, highlighting when progress is not being achieved and proposing action to correct the course, facilitating project team discussions and ensuring that overall project governance is in place.
- Lead and manage other projects in line with the school strategic plan.
- Lead and inspire project team members and operational managers outside of your authority.
Partner with decision-makers (15% of the role)
- Build up a relationship of trust with budget holders across the organisation.
- Ensure that budget holders have the financial management skills needed to manage their budgets by providing training and giving regular support to budget holders to understand their financial results.
- Support budget holders to make decisions by providing financial reporting and other analytical insights.
Assistant company secretary (10% of the role)
- Support the Finance Director with governance, statutory reporting and preparation of Board papers for the following Boards and committees:
- Prince Philip Gordonstoun Foundation Limited
- Gordonstoun School Retirement Benefits Scheme
- Gordonstoun International Boards
- Gordonstoun Schools Limited (Finance and Estates Committee, Audit and Risk Committee)
Finance Director support (less than 5% of the role)
- Shadow the Finance Director when required.
- Support the Finance Director by writing reports, carrying out research and carrying out other tasks as required by the Finance Director.
- Comply with Gordonstoun’s policies and procedures on Child Protection and Health and Safety.
- Contribute in a positive way to the ethos of the school in line with Gordonstoun’s values
- Carry out any other task as required from time to time in order to support the school
Salary and benefits
- A competitive salary is offered depending on skills and experience.
- 6 weeks’ paid holiday per annum.
- Pension (auto enrolment into operations’ staff pension scheme).
- Lunch provided (when school refectory operating).
- Access to gym / other benefits.
- This is a full time role, all year round.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- Start date: as soon as possible.
- 6 month probationary period.
Click for a Person Specification
Click for an Application Form
If you have any further queries, please email email@example.com or call 01343 837831.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 2 January.